Thursday 26 April 2012

Summary of this week

Just a few summarising points that arose from our meeting on Tuesday and from the work that has been done this week:


Image: After debating over the images I want to exhibit, I have been thinking why they are being chosen and what I am trying to say, or ask. I don't want this display to patronise, which I feel I may be in danger of so I feel the use of a2 images strongly reduce this risk. So although it is based on the displays used in estate agents, it is not completely obvious and I do not regard the display as a main factor, only a contribution to the images. I feel the images I have chosen represent my theme well, and hope that with a short lyrical statement they will provide a thought provoking display. Again, I do not want this to be obvious, and that also goes with the statement, hense the lyrical option. 


Curation: There have been problems with the curation process so far, mainly with the choice and availability within the space that we have. At this point we have assigned a space for the main four contributors, but since we have opened the space up to further contributors within the course there have been some issues. With the original sort of themed exhibition it has been difficult to secure people to contribute as they felt their work would not fit in, for instance the discussion with Hayley's work at the gallery. The intentions thereafter were to take this theme away, or to make it less constricting. 
One issue that arises with this change is that the exhibition may become disjointed and messy, and there may be confrontation with the new contributors and the spaces that they would want or require. 
From Tuesday's meeting, we decided that although we will receive the proposals for the works which contained sizing and space wanted, we will be curating the whole process, meaning there will be no choice for the others as to where there work will sit in the space. This is intended to help the process run much smoother, and will help create an exhibition that will hopefully not be disjointed and won't feel 'placed'.


Printing: After the second test prints came back last week they were fine and ready for final print, which was quite a relief. When I came in this week there had been a problem with the final prints, though. there were two prints that were successful and I tested them out in the acrylics, which looks good. However, the rest had a sort of pink/red and green band that ran across each image. I went back through the process to print, and discovered that the files had corrupted between the machine and Graham's computer, so we tried again using a formatted disk to transfer the images. fortunately this problem was then solved and the prints came out fine, the new Matt paper has done really well with the vibrancy of the colours in the images and I am pleased with the results. these are now safely in the acrylics and ready to be transported at any time. 


Gallery Space: Yesterday the group went one more time to the gallery to finalise certain aspect i.e funding and furniture. I had a look at the ceiling again and had a talk with one of the staff members, and basically I can't screw my rods straight into the ceiling. This is a problem but it can be solved quite easily (I hope) there are beams that run across the ceiling which have a sort of lip on the wall, this could potentially be used as a holder for a long piece of hard wood that can be screwed into, thus eliminating any damage I do to the room. I will possibly have to cut the rods down also in case they are too long for the room height, but this can be done on the setting up day. As far as the lighting is concerned, I need simple but effective spotlights that can clip onto the lips on the beams, I have found some suppliers that do this, and I have a recommendation for a shop in Manchester that may have what I need. I plan only to use 2 lights, but will get 4 in case these are not effective enough, I don;t want this to be over bearing on the images, and equally don't want the room to be gloomy with low visibility. 

No comments:

Post a Comment